Construction Safety Officer (on-site)
Penmat Contracting & Project Management Ltd., part of BM Group, is a full-service project management, construction and land development company dealing with all sectors of the real estate and construction industries with a diverse portfolio of projects across Canada.
We are looking to fill the position of Construction Safety Officer. Reporting to the Management team, you will work closely with the project team to establish and maintain Occupational, Health, Safety & Environmental (OHS&E) standards, ensuring compliance and conducting inspections. Additionally, you will provide leadership in enforcing safety regulations, conducting investigations, and contributing to the development and implementation of safety policies on-site for the construction of Walker House, a 264 unit, 29 story concrete high-rise development in North Delta, BC.
Why join BM Group?
We are family-owned and operate a portfolio that provides construction solutions in multiple industries from real estate development, construction support services, materials supply to structural support and waterproofing. We care about our people, embrace diversity, and believe each unique person enriches our culture and environment. We know that when we work together, we’re stronger.
What You’ll Do:
- Establish, implement, and maintain OHS&E management system requirements on project site, ensuring compliance with standards
- Conduct OHS&E inspections, safety audits, and chair safety meetings
- Administer the Safety Program, and ensure safety literature awareness and training
- Coordinating with relevant government agencies, such as WorkSafe, city officials, as required
- Prepare and manage documentation for safety issues, continually reviewing and improving safety operations
- Oversee and lead safety orientations, PPE compliance and training
- Ensure proper site signage is utilized and displayed on site at all times
- Handle safety related clerical tasks, including safety document management and cost analysis spreadsheets in relation to safety
- Support the General Site Superintendent and Senior Construction Manager with various duties, as required
- Provide safety leadership, enforce regulations, and recommend disciplinary actions when necessary
- Orientate trade workers with on-site safety regulations
- Conduct regular field level hazard assessments
- Investigate accidents and near misses, and report findings to stakeholders
- Maintain safety tools and safety equipment records, and be proactive to ensure site is properly supplied
- Assist in compliance audits, conduct Toolbox meetings, and contribute to safety policy development
- Cooperate with the team, set a positive safety example, and report incidents promptly.
- Maintain job site housekeeping, ensuring risks are mitigated
- Stay informed on safety issues, review and implement the safety manual
What You Have:
- 8-10 years concrete high-rise tower experience working on-site as a CSO
- Deep excavation experience
- CSO Certified
- Current OFA Level 3 Certified
- Valid ACSA, CSTS, WHMIS certifications, train the trainer an asset
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License
- Safety audit trained and COR familiar
- Familiar with WorkSafe BC requirements
- Relevant technical skills, with the ability to write safety reports, bulletins, and toolbox talks
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software, Procore, Bluebeam and intermediate computer skills
- Attention to detail and a high level of organization for documentation
- Ability to maintain accurate records of plans, examinations, and inspections
- Ability to communicate technical information to all levels of company
- Strong clear, and concise verbal and written English Language communication skills
Salary: $33 – $38 per hour
We are committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in our recruitment and hiring practices